Friday, 14 August 2009

Greek coffee

The traditional coffee is called ο ελληνικός καφές 

Whenever you order a greek coffee you also specify which amount of sugar you want. Because the sugar and the coffee are cooked altogether. 

There are 4 options.

    Ο ελληνικός καφές είναι:     The greek coffee is:
    - βαρύ γλυκός                        - very sweet
    - γλυκός                                 - sweet 
    - μέτριο                                  - not-to-sweet
    - ή σκέτο                                - or without-sugar / net

Now following the declension rules, you would then order something like:

    Θέλω ένα ελληνικό καφέ σκέτο 
     I want one greek coffee without-sugar

You can even just say:

    Θέλω ένα ελληνικό σκέτο
     I want one "greek" without-sugar

Now to have some milk in it:

    Θέλω ένα ελληνικό (καφέ) γλυκό με γάλα
     I want one greek (coffee) sweet with milk

And if you order several coffees, you could say:

    Θέλω δύο ελληνικοί καφέδες : ένα σκέτο και ένα βαρύ γλυκό
     I want two greek coffees: one without-sugar and one very sweet

1 comment:

  1. according to latest info you can also say :

    "θέλω ενα mojito μέτριο"

    but never say

    ¨θέλω ενα mojito μέτριο με γαλα¨

    :)

    ReplyDelete